Monday 17 September 2007

Video conferencing

Email, IM and IRC are all pretty good ways of keeping in touch, but sometimes you just need face-to-face interaction.

Video conferencing has been around for a while, but everyone has their own idea of how it's done. For example, I have a built-in iSight camera on my Mac which will work with iChat. When working at home, though, I'm in front of an SGI O2, with very competent but incompatible video conferencing software. Neither of these will talk to Skype or MSN Video messenger or or or ... you get the idea.

MegaMeeting have come up with a great video conferencing solution that works entirely within the browser. No software to install, no hassle, and very much cross platform.

It's not just useful for video conferencing either - you can use it to create your own webinars or run a one-to-many video conferencing training session.

I found it simple and easy to setup, and within minutes had a video session going between my Mac and a colleague based in Eastern Europe, who has a Linux machine. Time to start exploring training provision via video ;-)




Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,


1 comment:

Happy said...

I have a macbook with www.rhubcom.com which I use in collaboration with Ichat for conferencing as well as chating with buddies and family members..Yup there have been issues with guys on pc with ichat..